Thursday, August 22, 2013

Zettai Karen Children: THE UNLIMITED - Hyōbu Kyōsuke


Zettai Karen Children season 2...just kidding, this is a spin off story with Hyōbu Kyōsuke 




The Unlimited - Hyōbu Kyōsuke(THE UNLIMITED -兵部京介-)
Air date: 2013-01-07 to 2013-03-25

Studio: Manglobe
Genre: Espers, Superpowers
Episodes: 12

Summary:
Kyōsuke Hyōbu, an ESPer who was betrayed many years ago is now one of the most powerful ESPers, and also a fugitive. However, behind that glare lies a kind heart- His main mission is to save ESPers who are mistreated by humans, even if that be by force. Through his methods, he has saved many ESPer lives, and gained the loyalty of those he has saved. The name of his group: P.A.N.D.R.A.
(Source: ANN)





When the announcement of a Zettai Karen Children (ZKC) spin off; story of Hyōbu Kyōsuke was released I was kind of interested, I really liked watching ZKC and I'm quite fond of the group P.A.N.D.R.A, but after watching the trailer for it, made me lose a lot of interest, still I gave it a go and watched it till the end, its only 12 episodes long so It wasn't too terrible. 

The character designs, I know Hyōbu Kyōsuke is an old man...but dang that crease he makes when he smiles makes him actually look old..Its been about 5 years since the ZKC anime, but the characters look so different, I really liked the animation/character design done by SynergySP, they were the studio that worked on the ZKC animation. The story does take place when the Children are in middle school, but I thought Kyōsuke had the powers to keep himself young looking, even the character design from the manga doesn't make him look that old.


The story, it must of been tough for Takahashi Shiina to draw up three really long chapters just for this animation. Instead they should of just went and worked on the second season of ZKC OR made a remake from the very beginning following the manga correctly. I do really appreciate the fact that Takahashi sensei went and did a complete side story just for Kyōsuke and the group P.A.N.D.R.A, because I was able to see some of the P.A.N.D.R.A members that didn't make too much show time in the ZKC anime, like Magi, he's really cool, but on the other hand I was a little disappointed that some core P.A.N.D.R.A members also didn't get any or a little show time in this series, like Mio who is obsessed with Kyōsuke so having her make an appearance should have made sense, she does go to middle school with other PANDRA members, but Patti made an appearance quite a lot too, I was also disappointed to see Muscle Ohkama not behave like he did in the ZKC animation where he squiggles around gayishly when he's by Kyōsuke's side. Takahashi Shiina had to come up with two original characters for this series as well, but the interesting thing is these two original characters (Yugiri and Andy) eventually do make appearances in the actual manga, so that was kind of cool, I guess that could give it some connection to the main story?


Too dark for my taste. I read the manga, but with the whole animation and color, this series is a bit dark, I had a hard time following it, especially after watching ZKC which had some dark moments, but most of the time it was a lot of humor and light atmospheric feel that didn't give a depressing feeling watching the show.


So over all I would rate this series a 6/10, if your into espers/supernatural, ZKC dark version then it should be pretty good, but for me it just didn't really work, so you guys get the sad face of the ZKC girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment