Monday, August 12, 2013

Lupin the Third: the Castle of Cagliostro

What better way to start my blog with my  #1 favorite anime movie. Lupin the Third: the Castle of Cagliostro

I remember the first time I watched this movie was when I was about 13, at a local Japanese culture gathering at the gymnasium where I practiced Kendo. At that time I wasn't very much involved in the world of anime (aside from children shows such as Anpanman, Doraemon and Pokemon) so watching this full fledged action movie was an eye opener, but I wasn't able to fully appreciate the film until I got a little older. 


It wasn't till later that I found out that the movie was directed by Hayao Miyazaki (Castle in the sky, Nausicaa of the valley of the wind), on top of that, it was his very first feature film he directed. Later on I finally got the movie on VHS (aweeyeah~ old school) watching it at home countless times I was able to really take it all in.

If you've watched any of Miyazki's films/tv series, then you can really see the similarities of the character designs and the animation, especially from his earlier works such as Future boy Conan and Laputa; Castle in the sky.


The movie is top quality for its time (1979), I mean you can definitely tell the hand drawn lines and traditionally painted scenery's. A great sense of humor and ton of action. This film is a must watch for any anime & non anime fans alike.

Masterpiece 10/10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lupin III "The Castle of Cagliostro" / Animation
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What would you rate this movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment